Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Two: Working for the Man

 "You never really know what life is going to throw at you. Just keep your glove open so you can catch that curveball." ~Uncle Kevin

            If I was being honest (which I am) then I would have to say that, quite frankly, Bridgeport kicks Riverview's ass. I hardly have any friends besides the people who I work with, my house is still a piece-of-crap (but it's rubbing off on me, I'm sort of starting to like it), drinks and bar food are way over priced, and I've seen an astounding total of zero hot guys since I've been here. And yet, to say the least, I would rather deal with a city like this… exactly the way it is now… Then go back to a town like Riverview.
            My job is pretty lame. I've just been running around and handing out flyers (like I suspected) and the rich and famous people I've been encountering are pretty stuck-up. But I've been here for over a month now and things are looking up a little. I've been promoted three times, and I have graduated from handing out flyers (which no one ever even looked at, they just stuffed them in their back pockets to throw away later) to now making the infamous donut and coffee runs for Harry. As time goes on, Harry meets new people and introduces me to them. I am now actually pretty famous for Bridgeport (3 stars, if you want to get technical) and I've been asked for my autograph and everything. I've done a few Cameo's, nothing serious enough to win me an all-day pass to 'being awesome for the rest of forever' but like I said, it's looking up.



            The most outstanding purchases I have made were my funky bike which I adore with a passion (I had to get away from taxi cabs and subways, they give me the willies), a cheap little keyboard for pure remembrance of Auntie Jean, who played her baby grand piano every single day of her life, and a dartboard, which was Uncle Kevin's favorite game. He taught me how to play when I was 12, I guess I'm average at it.
            I spend a lot of time out in the bars and clubs, not to get wasted or anything, just to meet people and see how they act. Some of the behaviors of the adults, I've noticed, are quite adolescent-like. Husbands and wives going out together, only to ignore each other or flirt with other people shamelessly. Men fighting over which MVP on various soccer teams are better than the other guy, or who's shuffleboard piece was the winning one because they were too drunk to remember who was red and who was blue, and usually causing drinks to be thrown and a big mess to clean up.
             I did enjoy a few drinks here and there when I was out though, I admit I'm not a saint. But I never crossed the line into a drunken stupor. Auntie Jean said that the only good thing that ever came out of alcohol was the conceiving of me, which wasn't even a good thing to my parents, considering I was their only child that they didn't plan to have.
            I have to admit, I do feel a little bit like Forest Gump the way I talk about her sometimes. It's like the "Mama says" thing he always brings up, except for it's my Auntie Jean. So I'm sorry about that. It must just be a habit.
            Anyways, a few weeks in I got invited to this super lame party. I mean on a scale of 1 to 10 (one being the "I could live through this" type of lame and 10 being the "Please shoot me in the face right now" type of lame) it was definitely a 13. The house was dark and cold, people were passing out from exhaustion, this horribly ugly man was pounding away on the piano, someone decided to have a make-out fest upstairs (no joke), and there was absolutely no alcohol to ease the pain of the awful night. The stammering host had obviously been hanging out at the local watering hole before hand and thought it was the greatest party ever, naturally. I would have left sooner if he wasn't keeping tabs on me and telling everyone "This. Her right here. This girl, woman is gonna make it. You know like make it big t-time." It was horrific and embarrassing.
  My cellular rang one Friday night when I got home from work. A very smooth-talking gentleman with a Sunset Valley accent asked if he could set up some props and take a few candid shots of me for their newest magazine. Apparently he had gotten a call from Harry who told him about my soaring aspirations of becoming an actress. The man (I forgot his name) had told me that they (my dreams) fit right in to his idea for a hot new magazine, Reaching for the Top, which will have its first volume out in stores soon. Here are a few of the editor's favorites:




 So things have been going well, for the most part. I do admit that it gets a little lonely in this small house, and not having any close friends makes it weird to go out clubbing, but I'm managing. I know things will change, maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but one day they will… And I look forward to catching that curveball.

                      

Feedback Makes My Day :) Please Leave Your Comments!

1 comment: